Friday, February 24, 2006

Sleep is for the weak... and camping is for the crazy



For a very long time now I have gone without something that every RDM or BLM should always have. A Moldavite Earring. I've never been good at camping, and before the patch the only way for me to claim was to cast Dia. Then came the claiming patch where you had to wait nearly 3 seconds to cast magic on a target to claim it. So basically I had to change my strategy if I ever was to claim anything. Recently I was in a capped BCNM with a old friend of mine and he looked at my earrings and said, "What's with the gimp ass earrings Goro." I laughed it off but knew it was really time to get this item. Now the hard part begin... claiming.

Starting with Masen (Pigeon Blood Ruby) I began subbing WAR for Provoke. Now it's way under-subbed so whenever I do it I do /anon. So Thursday afternoon there was maintenance (which I found out when I tried logging in at 12:30pm) so I decided to try and grab this guy ASAP. Unfortunately I logged off in Upper Jeuno with my bazaar, so at 1:05pm I rushed out to the Labyrinth of Onzozo. I arrived at 1:12pm, and found a flurry of people there. I waited, and waited and waited. Talking to Vagus I came to the realization that when the servers came up, Mysticmaker Profblix was up. He was probably taken down in 30 seconds and the person didn't stick around. Most of us campers did not know this, but when he spawned at 3:20pm it was obvious that this was most likely his 2nd spawn already.

There were at least 14 people there, and I did not get the claim. A DRG did... and after he quickly disposed of it he did his /cry emote to let us know that there was no drop. I know this feeling. I was 0/1 and it's quite annoying to get the claim and not the drop. At least I had his ToD which was 3:29pm, meaning he'd pop between 5:30pm-6:00pm. I had sky to do that night, so I left... vowing to come back later. Little did I know how determined I would be after sky.

In sky all we camped was Ulli, and we did it from 5:00pm until 11:00pm. At 11:12pm Ulli pops and up there was LimitBreak, Envy, RoyalKnights, and my current LS Furiousx. Somehow our PLD got the pull in a sea of people, and we took Ulli down easily. We called it a night because Gods are Saturday and we are doing all four of them 2-3x. I spent an hour or so looking for a Curtana and farming Fire Clusters for easy XP. I eventually warped myself out of sky around 1:15am.

I headed out to LoO determined not to leave without an earring. I didn't think I would actually do what I did. I showed up at 1:30am to find the place empty. I was quite excited at the notion of camping against no one, but after 90 minutes of being on edge I realized that it was because I missed Profblix by 5 minutes... He spawns at 3:30am, and I lose claim. Same DRG as before, same quick kill, same /cry emote. Sucks for him he's been here for at least 14 hours. The next spawn was at 5:30-6:00am, so I decided (like an idiot) to stay up watching TV until then.

At 5:39am there's 6 people there, it pops, I claim! I had 300% TP and Vorpal Bladed him 3x and Blink'd his Freeze (Fast Cast) but all I got was Burst. Lame... I decided to grab a nap and set my alarm for 7:40am. At 7:40am I awoke and logged in only to find myself and that same DRG, (whom I am sure was AFK at this point) and a MNK. I changed my macro to /ja "Provoke" {st} because it was much faster to simply select a target and press a button rather than target something and press the macro menu button and then X Button. The 75MNK in full AF2 beat me with Chi Blast and Hundred Fists it... more lame. He gives a /cheer emote and puts the earring on. At this point the DRG player is either asleep or has shot himself, but my only competition was 1 person. I again set my alarm for 10:10am, and took a nap.

I awoke at 10:00am and quickly logged in. No one was here! I cleared all the Gobs and knew that I was 2 minutes from the window and the only pop in the next 16 mins would be the NM! I waited about 3 minutes and then a THF/NIN shows up. He was /anon but had on a piece of THF AF on and was also dual-wielding. Right away that told me that I was the only one with voke, and I knew the ToD, this THF wasn't here at 8:00am with myself and the MNK. It pops, I claim it (not my best claim for Profblix but I got it done) and I used the same tactic. Eureka! I saw the last item saying I gained a moldavite earring.


I was stupid excited, and incredibly tired. I had slept about 3 and a half hours last night and spent way too much time focusing on pressing a button the second Mysticmaker Profblix spawned on my screen. Now I have my Moldavite's and my Diabolo's Earring (only really good in dark weather), so I will be needing my Locquacious Earring soon. I refuse to buy the coins though, I am 2 fights from Sea and Limbus can be farmed. Until then, I can use my Moldy, and not until now did I realize the hardship that can come with getting this stupid earring.

I still despise NMs as well as camping, especially when I see Vagus and company camp Kraken Club only to lose it to RMTs...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home